Keeling Coal Company
From Carrick-Overbrook Historical Society
Joseph Keeling was the owner of a coal mine on St. Patrick Street in Mt. Oliver. The mine was connected with the South Side by an incline, now the site of South Side Park, that ran from St. Patrick St. to 21st St. The mine continued under Mt. Oliver,exited to cross a ravine, continued under a second hill, then exited again to cross another ravine on a 200 yard trestle over Wagner Street, then continued under Carrick near Bruner and Linnview Avenue. It continued underground to Spiketown, where it emerged again. Coal from the Bausman mine was tranferred to a train pulled by a steam locomotive, and transported through the Keeling mine to the coal incline. "Old coal mine workers told how they entered a coal mine down by volunteers field, probably Keeling, and then went thru sevral different portals and shuttles to work out in the Library and Findlay coal mine area.
- Schellenberg, F.Z. (1899). "The Longest Mine-Haulage". Retrieved on 2008-09-08.
These two images are of miners in the Keeling Coal Company mine. The Speicher family had many members in Spiketown. One of our Carrick historians is named Joe Speicher.
A collection of coal miner photos not of Carrick but possibly a representation of how life was in the coal mines for our former residents. Photo courtesy of Joyce Chalfant.